Wednesday 19 December 2012

Who is Santa?

You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I´m telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town

He´s making a list
And checking it twice
He´s gonna find out who´s naughty and nice
Santa Claus is coming to town


Actually Santa is already at my house. I guess he just wanted to peek over my shoulder as I was baking this gingerbread house and probably he also wanted a bite of it. 
Guess who he is!
a) the real Santa!!! The one and only! WOW!
b) one of his elves trying to take advantage of his boss´s privileges
c) my silly brother with his silly xmas pyjamas 

If you want to try and make a gingerbread house all on your own from scratch I can recommend two recipes. I usually follow this recipe from Taste.com because it´s very simple and there are fewer ingredients compared to other recipes, but I also like the one of the Hummingbird Bakery in London (by the way I have both their cook books and they are full of amazing recipes! I really recommend them). If you only feel like having fun decorating you can also buy prepared gingerbread dough; it´s easy to find around this time of the year.

For the decorations I use royal icing and anything sweet and colourful I have in my kitchen, such as gumdrops, dragees, sprinkles, sugar pearls, jimmies, hearts, stars, and so on.
For the icing I don´t follow a particular recipe. I simply take a bowl, pour some icing sugar in it, a little little little bit of water and a couple of drops of lemon juice. Then I stir and according to the consistency of it I either add water or sugar. It doesn´t have too bee too thick nor too liquid otherwise the decorations won´t stick and your house will not glue together.
If you do everything right you will have so much fun and the result will surely be cool!

Enjoy 
Martina




P.S.: dear Anja, Sandra, and Kristi (giveaway winners) your personalised canvases are finished! Your parcels are also ready for shipping; I am going to the post office tomorrow morning. Congratulations again, have fun!


10 comments:

  1. Oh wow, this looks amazing o.o
    and I was desperate this year trying ordinary christmas cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. gourgeous gingerbread house!!!!! love it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - das Lebkuchenhaus ist wunderschön.

    Die Leinwand gefällt mir auch sehr sehr gut. Ich bin schon ganz gespannt, wann das Paket ankommen wird. Wird wohl etwas dauern aus Österreich vermute ich. Aber die anderen beiden Pakete haben ja auch eine ziemlich weite Reise vor sich! Ich melde mich sofort, wenn das Paket angekommen ist. Ansonsten wünsche ich Dir frohe Weihnachten! ♥ Keep on baking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really wonderful and so sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very nice!

    X Jenny
    Rocknrollerr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow love it! it is tasty and beautiful! love your blog!
    we could follow each other, what do you think? :)

    http://coldinvitation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Friend, I love love love your blog, it‘s very interesting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a gorgeous gingerbread house! I am a new follower. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! I appreciate your comments, enquiries, and suggestions :)

Tiny Hand With Heart