Thursday 7 February 2013

Panzerotti from Como

Hi there! I´m blogging from Lake Como, where I have spent the last 5 days visiting my boyfriend. Winter is so great in Italy: temperatures are mild, it´s not too cold, and it´s sunny. The weather was so lovely that even my dog decided to go swimming in the lake with the ducks!!! We were taking a walk without the leash because he usually is very obedient and I just did not expect him to dive... hahaha such a prankster!


When I am back in my home-country my taste buds go crazy; I have to eat all the good things that I miss in Austria, I have to go back to the amazing Italian kitchen which I never realise how much I miss until I am in the lanes of an Italian supermarket. Here in Como I decided to cook something for the two of us, something typical Italian: "panzerotti", also known as "calzoni" or "pizza fritta". This recipe is originally from the region of Puglia, in Southern Italy, but panzerotti have become a real must for Milanese people too. Every person born in Milano (as I am - I moved to Trieste later) has learned as a kid that each visit to the Duomo must include a stop at Panificio Luini. Later on they´ll learn to park on sidewalks and pedestrian crossings, but this is another story hehehe! Luini´s panzerotti are tremendously good since 1888 that is why there are always people queuing up to the road.


On this visit, unfortunately I didn´t have time to go to Milano, but as a Milanese girl I know how to make panzerotti myself (my grandfather gave me his recipe) so this is exactly what I did! We loved them and I am sure you will too, so I want to share myrecipe with you.


Ingredients:
olive or frying oil
salt
ricotta
ham
poppy seeds
cherry tomatoes
mozzarella
basil
pizza dough
- either you make it yourself following this recipe I have posted
- or you buy ready made one which is a great solution if you do not have enough time but want to make a good impression on guests. This recipe is perfect for a dinner party!

 

Procedure:
Spread out the dough (either one you chose) on a flat surface and cut out squares about 3mm thick and 10cm wide. Now start filling them. I made two varieties: "prosciutto, ricotta e semi di papavero" & "pomodoro, mozzarella e basilico". In the middle of some dough squares place a spoon of ricotta, one slice of ham and a sprinkle of poppy seeds, in the others put a couple slices of mozzarella, 2-3 tomatoes cut in half, and some basil leaves. Then fold the dough in half over the filling in order to form a triangle and start closing the sides simply by pinching them together with your fingers. If necessary fold the dough to make a rim. When ready take a frying pan, pour in the oil and when it sizzles put in the panzerotti. Fry them on both sides until golden brown. A bit of salt and they are ready to be eaten!


Enjoy 
Martina



1 comment:

  1. new follower, that looks delicious! and I would love to go to Italy so bad!!
    Juliet
    www.apurplesky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! I appreciate your comments, enquiries, and suggestions :)

Tiny Hand With Heart